If you’re a new dog owner, or are thinking of getting a dog, it’s important to know the common commands that dogs need to know. These commands can help make your life with your dog easier and more enjoyable. Here are six of the most common commands:
- “Come” – This is one of the most important commands for your dog to know. When you say “come,” you want your dog to come to you immediately and sit at your feet. It’s important to train your dog to come when you call them, especially if they’re off leash.
- “Down” – This command tells your dog to lay down on the ground. It’s a good command to use if you want your dog to stay out of trouble, or if you’re trying to get him to go to sleep.
- “Sit” – This is another common obedience command that is easy for dogs to learn. When you say “sit,” you want your dog to sit down immediately. Again, it’s important to be consistent with this command and to reward your dog for obeying.
- “Stay” – The stay command is a good way to keep your dog from wandering off or getting into trouble. When you say “stay,” you want your dog to remain in the spot where they are until you release them. It’s important to start with short commands and gradually increase the length of time as your dog masters the skill.
- “Down” – The down command is used to get your dog to lie down on the ground. This can be helpful for when you want your dog to stay in one spot, or when you’re trying to get them to go to sleep.
- “Heel” – The heel command tells your dog to walk by your side. It’s important for dogs who will be interacting with people, as it keeps them from getting too close or too far away. Training your dog to heel can be a bit challenging, but it’s definitely worth the effort and will make life with your dog much easier.
Knowing these common commands will help make life with your dog easier and more enjoyable. Make sure to practice them regularly so that your dog will know them well. If you’re having trouble teaching your dog these commands, consider enrolling them in a training class at Rocky Mountain K-9. Their experienced trainers can help teach your dog the basics and improve their obedience skills. Visit their website at www.rockymtnk9.com to learn more about their classes and services.